Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Squirrel Cage by Cindi Jones

Squirrel Cage by Cindi Jones is one of the premier memoirs on gender transition I have read. Recently, I downloaded the Kindle version and listened to the book, which I had first read in paperback form in 2009. It is not often that I revisit a book, but in this case, I’m glad I did.

This work stands out as one of the most poignant, gut-wrenching and inspiring works about transsexualism you can read. Squirrel Cage is a story about the struggle of a person driven inexorably by the demons of gender dysphoria, coming to terms with who she really is.  It takes on the universal themes of love, betrayal, loss and perseverance, leading to eventual triumph in the face of the most daunting deterrents. Overcoming his own internal strife and the barriers that place him at odds with his religion, his employers, his wife and family, it is a story that chronicles one man’s transition to a female gender role and eventually, to a productive and fulfilling life as a woman.

It is a wonderful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment